During 2019 the Guernsey project:
- Created “Pollinator Patches” in ten schools and colleges.
- Delivered talks on Pollinators to over 500 children, as well as several local businesses and interest groups.
- Hosted two talks by Professor Dave Goulson on the importance of gardens for wildlife, which over 300 people attended.
- Planted trial “Pollinator Patches” on St.Germain Nature Reserve and built a bee bank there.
- Erected Bee hotels in ten schools, as well as some nature reserves.
- Started an East Coast Restoration scheme to enhance the area for pollinators.
- Worked with the Health department to create a wildflower meadow at the Hospital.
- Worked with States Water to create pollinator friendly areas on their properties.
- Created a second bee bank at Fort Le Marchant to encourage wild bees and wasps to breed there.
- Hosted two “Pesticide Free Guernsey” Forums for stakeholders and the general public, with presentations by UK experts.
- Worked with local government to pursue a “Pesticide Free Guernsey”.
- Won Pride of Guernsey “Conservation Hero of the Year” award.
Guernsey Project Partners and Sponsors:
- Guernsey Climate Action Network
- La Societe Guernesiaise
- Norman Piette
- The Channel Islands Co-Operative Society